Peoria Heights Public Library History
The Peoria Heights Public Library was established in 1936. The original library was located in a rented room of the Nelson Vault Works on East Seiberling Avenue. Open only twelve hours per week, a part-time librarian and all books were obtained on contract from the Peoria Public Library.
After being located in various spots in Peoria Heights, a permanent building (7,500 sq. ft.) was constructed at 1327 East Kelly Avenue in 1963. A successful referendum helped finance that project. An addition was constructed in 1968 to increase office and work space.
After much discussion during the 1990s, the board determined that space in the Kelly Avenue facility was insufficient for continued development of collections and services. Another referendum was passed in March 1998 to enable new library construction. Many possibilities were explored before the board placed a bid on the Peoria Production Shop facility at 816 East Glen Avenue. Several months of extensive remodeling created a new 18,000 sq. ft. library that opened on February 29, 2000.
Librarians/Directors of the Peoria Heights Public Library:
Florence Fisher – 1938 - 1965
Mary Jane Duncan – 1966 – 1980
Kim Bunner – 1980 – 1987
Marsha Westfall – 1987 – 2014
Shawn Edwards – 2014 -